Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Linear Hall Effect Sensor circuit help

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Linear Hall Effect Sensor circuit help

Postby Burtmeister » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:07 am

Hello, I am new to these forums. I hope someone can help me out with this circuit. I've always been interested in electronics, but I only know enough to be dangerous. Here's a little background on this question. I have an electronic drum set. In this set there is a module that is connected to all the pieces of the drums (triggers). One connection is a hihat pedal. This pedal is connected to the module with a 1/4" mono patch cord. The pedal itself is just a potentiometer which the module reads to determine how the hihat sounds. Where the pedal has a potentiometer in it and the pedal is pushed quite often the potentiometer tends to wear out pretty quick.

So I have an Allegro 1302 Hall Effect sensor that I want to use in place of the mechanical potentiometer. I will be placing the sensor under the pedal and a magnet will be attached to the pedal. That's the simple part. Where I'm stumped is how I connect it all together. I've taken some measurements. I have a a voltage coming out of my module for the hi hat control at 3.5V and normally that travels through my potentiometer hi hat pedal back to the module. If I want to use a hall effect sensor in place of the potentiometer pedal would I connect the output ground of the sensor to the ground of the module h ihat control, and to the ground of my separate 5v powersupply for the sensor? And then connect the positive output of the sensor to the positive of the hi hat control. And then the positive of the separate power supply to the positive input of the sensor? Can I just hook it up this way and go? The fact that there is a 3.5V already running through the pedal I'm worried that the 5V from powering the sensor is going to cause a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Burtmeister

Postby awright » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am

What is the resistance of the existing pot in the pedal? What is the minimum and maximum voltage on the wiper of the pot as you depress the pedal? Is it a linear pot?

Your description of existing conditions is a little confusing. I assume the pot resistance element is connected between a power supply and ground and the wiper is connected to the input of the device, correct? Do you hope to put the Allegro 1302 directly in place of the pot?

The output of the Allegro is at half its supply voltage in the absence of magnetic flux so you are gong to have to do some level shifting. It's difficult to say how without knowing more about the present setup and the input impedance of the device.

awright
awright

Return to Electronic Circuits Help