Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Help with open collector circuit

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Help with open collector circuit

Postby bhilgenkamp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I need to connect with a video switcher so that whenever an input is selected a light will light up, corresponding to the particular input that is selected. I have done this fine in the past but this switcher uses an open collector instead if just simply closing a common with each pin on the connector. I have no idea how to wire in to this open collector method. I have heard of others using opto-isolators so that they can run higher current through that versus running it directly off the switcher. If anyone could help with this that would be great. I'm not sure how to do this alone and I don't want to fry the circuit in this video switcher.

What I need to accomplish:
I need to build a simple circuit so that when an input on the switcher is activated it triggers an LED to light up. I have lots of 5V and 12V power supplies laying around so I'd prefer the whole thing run on one of those voltages. The wiring that runs to each LED will need to be RG-59 to utilize cabling already run to each location.

I've attached a diagram included in the switcher's manual for reference.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 2.14.04 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 2.14.04 PM.png (41.83 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
bhilgenkamp

Return to Electronic Circuits Help