Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Multiple circuits using one power supply

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Multiple circuits using one power supply

Postby vwguy16 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 am

Hi,
I recently started to get into electronics with help of a PC program that allows you to design and test circtuits.

The circuits that I made are to simulate running lights on a model starship:

the primary LED flasher circuit that uses a 555 timer to flash 10 LEDs on and off every couple of seconds

A secondary flasher(555 also) that briefly flashes 4 LEDs on for half a second every 3 seconds

a fade in circuit..ie when power is applied the leds will take several seconds to fade up to full brightness.

The idea was to put all 3 circuits inside my model and run the wires down the stand to a single switch and a 9v power supply.

I had great success making these circuits and when i actually built them using real components they worked as well as the program said they would...individually....

However, I wanted them to all run off of a single 9v power supply. Problem is if I connect the + wires for the two flashers together and the - wires together and apply power something goes wrong...the primary flasher does not behave the same..in that the flasher seems to be faster and the primary LEDs will turn off when the secondary LEDs turn off...so im guessing something is interfering....

do i need to isolate the separate circuits somehow ? if so how do i do this?

Any help would be great !!

Thanks,
Andy
vwguy16

Postby Thomas W » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Andy,
please post the three circuit diagrams.
Thomas W

Postby I_Daniel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Is your power supply well regulated ? or does it fluctuate ?
Can it provide the amperes for all the circuits ?

A large capacitor say 470 Mfd and a .01 Mfd capacitor across the power supply and a choke in the positive line may help to decouple the power supply. But as you have not given any specific circuits this is just a wild suggestion.
I_Daniel

Postby JMACgyver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Howdy,

A normal 9-volt battery will only supply ~150mA to any given circuit (if needed)

Parallelling three circuits on it bring each circuit roughly 50mA, I'm sure much lower than the circuit needs, hence the erratic behavior. See if six AA cells instead of the 9V helps at all.

In addition to the capacitor and choke mentioned, another choice may be to wire in a diode along the negative wires going to each circuit. (Cathode to battery of course) this may help with any feedback from one circuit affecting the others. Might try the positive line if that doesn't work.

Regards,
--Electro--
aka David M.
~~~~~~~
Is it Friday yet????
~~~~~~~
"In Theory, the is no difference between practice and theory. In Practice, there is."
JMACgyver

Return to Electronic Circuits Help